Content Writing Services
Content Writing – Meaning, types, how does it work, and more
Writing is the art of expressing one’s thoughts and ideas. It is a form of communication through which humans pass on their thoughts to each other.
“Writing” here can be either personal or professional depending on who is communicating to whom and for what purpose. “Content writing” on the other hand, is professional writing, done by specialized content writers, for an online audience to fulfill their marketing objectives. However, before learning about “content writing,” we need to understand what “content” is.
What is content.?
“Content” is a piece of information that is expressed through some medium, either written or any form of art. Anything that we see on the internet, in cinema, on television, in books, in magazines, etc is a form of content in some way or the other. Content varies from person to person. It can be information or an expression or idea or just anything or everything with no particular substance.
In today’s world, we are basically surrounded by content. If we look around ourselves, almost everything is a form of content. The movie we saw on Netflix is content. The podcast we listened to is content. The book we read is content. That hoarding we saw which had an advertisement of some brand is content and of course, every time we type something on Google and the millions of results it shows us on that particular thing is also content.
Types of content
Content, as we mentioned above, can be of various types. However, in a digital marketing world, the following forms of content are commonly used:
- Website content
- Product description
- Email newsletters
- Press releases
Content is what makes Content writing. They both go hand in hand. So now, let’s understand what content writing is.
What is content writing.?
Content Writing is the art of presenting content in a non-generalized manner. It refers to professional writing that content writers use to promote their content to a wide digital audience. In today’s internet era, the mere words that go into content writing hold so much power in them. Content writing can help business owners publish their content online to reach their products or services to a larger audience.
When we talk about content writing, it doesn’t just refer to writing. A whole process goes into content writing. Content writers spend hours and hours in research, writing, editing and the end result that comes out is the content that helps digital marketing companies or business owners to fulfill their marketing objectives.
If we look at the earlier time when content writing was introduced and compare it with today, it has evolved immensely. At the initial stage, content writing was a medium to promote art or convey a message. But in today’s time, content isn’t merely an art to express ideas or promote information but it is a means to earn revenue for millions of businesses. Content writing holds immense power in almost all kinds of industries.
Any business, no matter what it sells, needs content to interact with its audience, to promote its products or services, and to target the right audience they need content writing.
Types of content writing
Content Writing can be of various forms like
- Technical writing
- Social media posts
- SEO writing
- Business writing
- Creative writing
Let’s understand them one by one
- Blogging: Blogging can be either personal or commercial. Through a personal blog, one can create their personal blog on the internet and share their thoughts or ideas about some particular topics of their interest. Whereas commercial blogs focus more on addressing people’s needs and queries rather than putting up content that is relevant only to that individual’s interest. Many a time people confuse blogs with websites but they are two different things. A blog is an online journal where bloggers post their thoughts or ideas about a particular topic of interest in an informal way of writing. Whereas a website is a professional platform that businesses use to promote their product or service.
- Copywriting: copywriting is one of the most popular and renowned forms of content writing. Among all the different types of content writing, copywriting requires the utmost creativity. Those attractive taglines that we see in advertisements, or those social media posts, product descriptions, all are a part of copywriting. This is mostly used by brands or businesses that need to attract a large audience and persuade them to buy their products or services.
- Technical writing: this type of writing requires a content writer to write directions or instructions or explanations about a technical topic. We all have seen those “how-to” articles at some point in time, those articles are a part of technical writing. It does not require any creative or academic skills for a content writer to do technical writing. User manuals, assistance guides, assembly manuals, technical documents, reviews, reports are all different types of technical writing.
- Social media posts: social media is a vast platform. Almost 40 percent of the world’s population spends most of their time on social media. So in today’s world, it has become extremely important for brands and businesses to make a strong social media presence. Content writers create content for these brands to post on their social media accounts through which they persuade or attract users towards their content.
- Emails: emails also come under copywriting. This is generally to keep the loyal customers intact. Businesses often send emails to their permanent customers or subscribed users to maintain their interest and attention in the business’s products or services. There are two kinds of audience, paid and unpaid. In order to grow, a business needs to target and maintain both the audience. While the unpaid audience keeps changing with time, paid one remains loyal but the businesses need to continuously keep them engaged through emails or newsletters to make sure that they remain interested.
- SEO writing: SEO is short for search engine optimization. It is a technique that is used by content writers to promote their content or to increase its ranking on search engines like Google. A lot of research and strategy goes under search engine optimization. The content writers need to make continuous efforts to optimize their content so it can rank better on the search engines. It is the most popular type of strategy or skill used under content writing and so SEO writing is one of the most important types of content writing. SEO writers do extensive research to find the important keywords to directly target their audience and to rank their content at a higher level on the search engines.
- Business writing: this type of content writing is a little different from the other forms as it is only used for commercial purposes by businesses. It is used by start-ups or even already built businesses to target their specific audience and to attract them towards their product or services. This is not only to drive traffic towards the business website but to convert the audience into real customers.
- Creative writing: this is the type of content writing that requires the most creative skills in a content writer. Usually, scriptwriters or play writers use this type of content writing to write scripts for videos, films, stand-ups, shows, plays. This is one of the most difficult types of writing but also the highest-paid writing as an extensive amount of creativity and skill is required for this.
Who is a content writer.?
A content writer is simply a person who writes content or who does content writing. A content writer uses a lot of strategies and research and tools to write specific content to target a specific audience. All the types of content writing that we saw above are done by content writers. In today’s internet world, content writers are evolving rapidly and their demand will only rise higher and higher in the coming years. A content writer is of various types like
- Blogger or blog writer
- Brand journalist
- Technical writer
- SEO writer
- Creative writer
- Email writer
- Script writer etc
Skills that a content writer requires
A content writer is specialized in the art of writing. It requires a lot of skills for a content writer to attract a huge audience to his content. These skills separate the content writers from any ordinary writer. Let’s see what are those skills:
- Mastering different writing styles: a content writer needs to write content in various forms, on various topics, and for that, he is required to master different forms and styles of writing. Like every content writing has its own style, every content writer has his own style of writing content. A writer can write the content in one particular format or style but to increase his demand and popularity, he needs to master the different styles of writing.
- Not picking random subjects: in content writing, topics or subjects play a vital role. It is very important for a content writer to understand his audience and choose the topic that his audience wants to read.
- Being original: Originality is what makes a content writer successful in content writing. While anyone can write content through copying from others or the internet, it requires a skilled and creative mind to create ideas to target an audience. It seems hard to think that where thousands of people are writing content on the same topic, how can everyone be unique or original. But isn’t every person different and unique from the other.? Similarly every person has his own way of writing which makes his content unique from the others.
- Understanding the tools: in content writing, it is very important for a content writer to understand the tools that are used while writing. To stand apart from the crowd, content writers are required to get a hold of his tools like SEO, HTML, CSS, WordPress.
How to become a content writer.?
Anyone with a keen interest in writing can become a content writer. Content writer, as a career, is evolving rapidly over the last few years and with the increasing usage of online businesses, the demand for content writers is also increasing. If you’re someone who has some interest in writing but is unsure of how or where to start with this content writing thing then we are here to help you with that.
While there are multiple online courses or internships to learn about content writing, we have listed out these few things that help someone start their content writing career:
- Read: reading is the basic foundation of writing. It is usually seen that people who love reading, books, magazines, anything, are more drawn towards writing. While it is not an absolute truth but a strong possibility. Reading also helps an individual to expand his knowledge about various topics and to learn different styles of writing. When you read something, your mind starts understanding that the words can be written in many different forms and styles.
- Write different types of content: writing doesn’t have to be too specific or professional, rather it is supposed to be done for fun. Write anything and everything you find interesting. Let your mind wander around collecting thoughts and ideas and just write them. It can be your daily journal, a letter to your friend, or school assignment. Writing random topics will give you a sense of clarity about what topic or what type of content writing interests you more and you can further master that.
- Choose the right educational degree: mostly bigger companies in digital marketing prefer content writers with a graduate degree in English literature or communication or other related fields. So it becomes very important to choose the right field from the beginning so as to avoid any chaos or issue later on.
- Join writer’s groups: when you are surrounded by a group of people with similar interests, your mind starts thinking in a different, creative manner. It helps you become more open minded and add a different value to your content and skills.
- Social media presence: start your own social media accounts, or blogs or simply write content for free websites. This can help you attract traffic to your content and further gain popularity and recognition in this field.
About Udaypur Group
Udaypur group is a digital marketing company that has been working in content writing since 2021. We not only provide content writing services to brands and businesses but also help content writers build their career in content writing. We provide an internship with proper guidance and timely advice to students and help them prosper in their career.
We have served over thousand happy customers till now and trained over 100 content writers who are now settled in their careers with bigger roles and responsibilities. We may aim to achieve more and more in the coming years and build a higher brand name for our company.